About Hair Loss...
How many people suffer from hair loss?
Approximately 35 million men and 21 million women suffer from hair loss. On average 80% of all women will suffer from hair loss in their 60's.
What is normal hair loss?
People have between 100,000 and 150,000 hairs on their head. Most people normally shed between 50 - 100 hairs a day
What is not normal when it comes to hair loss?
The first sign of hair loss is typically noticing that there are more hairs than usual in your hairbrush or more in the tub drain after shampooing. Styling can also show areas of thinning, where your part is may be getting wider or your crown area seem thin.
What are some causes for hair loss?
- Androgenetic alopecia- most common due to aging
- Alopecia Areata Patchy- patchy hair loss on the scalp
- Alopecia Areata Totalis- scalp and face, including eyebrows and eyelashes
- Alopecia Areata Universalis- hairless from head to toe
- For More information please visit National Alopecia Areata Foundation)
- Traction Alopecia- excessive tension on the hair or breakage due to chemical processing
- Cicatricial Alopecia- hair follicles are destroyed and replaced by scar tissue
- Auto Immune Disease
- Brain Surgery
- Chemotherapy Diabetes
- High Blood pressure
- Female and Male pattern balding
- Hormones- Pregnancy, Menopause and POS
- Medication. For more information on what medications can cause hair loss please visit American Hair Loss Council
- Rapid weight gain or loss
- Thyroid disease
Alopecia Hair Solutions is a proud member of the Trichotillomania Learning Center. We can help you or a loved one with hair solutions to blend or cover areas due to trichotillomania.